Friday, November 20, 2009

Caramelized Pears


Pears are perfect just as they are; when fully ripened, they are sweet, juicy, and full of fiber. But ever since I made the recipe for Caramelized Apples with Almond Topping this past fall, I've been waiting to do the same with pears. Instead of cooking all sides of the fruit as I did with the apples, I found that caramelizing only the cut side leaves the rest of the fruit somewhat crunchy but still maintains a soft center. Cream topping optional.

Caramelized Pears
Makes 2 servings

2 ripe barlett pears
2 tbps brown sugar
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1. Cut each pear in half and remove the core and stem.
2. Add butter and sugar to a large skillet over medium heat. As soon as the sugar bubbles and lightens in color, add cinnamon and the pears, cut side down. Allow each pear half to caramelize for two minutes without turning. Transfer to serving plate, cut side up, and serve with greek yogurt or whipped cream.

5 comments:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

What simple, delicious dessert!

Haddock said...

A simple and fast way to have something healthy.

Natasha said...

Andrea and Haddock,
Yes, a quick, simple dessert. Sometimes I'm too tired (or want dessert now!) to make an elaborate sweet treat, so I like to have quick options such as this. I hope you get to try it.
N.

Sophie,
Thanks for your comment and thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think if you get to make it. Take care!
N.

Karine said...

Your pears sound delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

Natasha said...

You're welcome Karine!
N.